Friday, January 16, 2009

August 4, 1979 - Saturday (day)

I meant to go into work at 7:00 this morning, but I woke up this morning and the clock said 8;30. I was in by quarter of eight, and I did the floor in four hours. It looked like hell, so I did a good job. I was getting frustrated because I'd do a part of the floor, come back five minutes later, and it was a mess again.
I feel better today than I did last night when I wrote. I decided that "I Want You To Want Me" would make a great theme song for me.
Elliot and Jay went to the Cape after work, so I left at quarter of twelve and went home to eat. My new least favorite thing is the fucking traffic downtown.
At about 1:30, I went down to BP to see if anybody was there yet, but there was a fucking chain across the driveway, so I went by Denise's house. Nobody was there, so I rode around to see if they were practicing anywhere else. They weren't, so I headed back to BP, and passed Denise. I honked and waved. She didn't. I got pissed off when I couldn't find her again, so I went home for a few minutes and went to the hospital to see Steve.
Even though he says he might be in until Monday, Steve doesn't really look too bad. His cuts are healing up, and he seems OK.
When I got there, Dave and Ilda were already there. Steve's folks had just left, and Dave and Ilda just stopped in to say hi. Just after they left, Denise walked in. Debbie was down in the lobby with David, so Denise and I talked to Steve for a while, and I went down to watch David while Debbie visited Steve. I watched him about a half an hour.
I can't figure out Denise. She looks at me a lot and smiles at me once in a while, but she she still hasn't got that much to say to me. I really do love her, and was thinking about calling her tonight.
Elliot ranked Sandy and Cheryl today for me for what they said last night. They haven't gone to see Steve yet, but Elliot says they have plenty of time to stick their nose in other peoples' business. I apologized to Cheryl today for last night and she told me she thought I was just "putting on an act to attract attention". I told her to think what she wants.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do tonight, so I'll write again before I go to bed.

Another kind of uneventful day-sweeping floors and hospital visits. Baby sitting Denise's son who would be in his mid thirties by now. In retrospect, yes, I was putting on an act to attract attention.
Turns out I was wrong about Robertson Factories. A Google search has confirmed that they still have two plants-the one in Cordell, Oklahoma, and, to my immense surprise, the one on Chandler Avenue in Taunton, which is where I was working at the time of these entries, is still open. They even still have the same phone number, 823-5141. I'm tempted to call it and see if anyone answers the phone. I wonder how many 30+ year employees they have working for them. Not many, I bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment